Become A Peer Tutor
Peer Learning and Teaching Others (PLaTO) is proud to employ over 100 undergraduate Peer Tutors.
Individuals who tutor through PLaTO come from a variety of academic backgrounds and majors but share a common passion for serving their peers and the UGA community through knowledge sharing, encouragement, and academic support.
Peer Tutors are selected through a competitive application process and materials are reviewed regularly based on changes in tutoring demand and staffing.
Pay: Peer Tutors receive $13.50/hour, course credit for the UNIV 1204 pedagogy course, CRLA accreditation and experiential learning credit (depending on school/college).
Peer Tutor job requirements include:
- Enroll in and complete UNIV 1204 (a one-hour institutional credit course) within your
first semester of being a Peer Tutor (unless you have already completed UNIV 1204)
- By taking this training course, you will receive tutor accreditation through the College Reading and Learning Association
- Students cannot register for the course prior to being hired as a Peer Tutor
- Work anywhere from 8 to 20 hours/week
- Be able to commit to working a regular schedule
- Complete ongoing trainings with PLaTO staff including a beginning of semester training, monthly trainings in the Fall,
and Peer Education Student-Led Conference in the Spring
- Experienced Peer Educators will be required to present at the Peer Education Student-Led Conference in the Spring
- Be proficient and subject matter and have the ability to explain topics to others
- Have excellent communication skills and a patient approach to explaining concepts
- Be able to recognize when to make referrals to appropriate campus resources when assistance beyond a Peer Tutor’s qualifications is needed
To qualify for a Peer Tutoring position, you must:
- Hold a minimum 3.25 overall GPA
- Received an A or B in each course for which you are applying
- Have completed at least one semester of classes at UGA
- Tutor a minimum of 5 courses and/or 3 subjects
- Seek a recommendation in each subject for which you are applying
To apply to become a Peer Tutor:
If you are interested in becoming a Peer Tutor for the upcoming semester, please apply a semester in advance. For example, we hire Fall Peer Tutors at the end of the Spring semester.
All application materials are kept on hand one year from application date for future consideration.
Please note, all application materials must be submitted online via the link below.
- Complete the below Peer Tutor application
- Seek a faculty or teaching assistant recommendation for each of the subjects to be
- Instructors will be emailed directly with a link to complete their reference form once your application has been completed
Students do not need a separate recommendation for each course. However separate recommendations are required for each subject. A recommendation from a Math instructor would be sufficient for MATH 1101 and MATH 1113. However, a student interested in tutoring Chemistry and Biology courses would need separate recommendations from an instructor in each of those departments.