Professional writing tutors are available to meet with students for a one-on-one session to provide feedback on course assignments, applications for an intended major, or even dissertations.
Please remember that writing appointments are not intended to be a proof-reading service, but tutors are happy to help improve writing skills by addressing specific questions or areas of concern.
Drop-In Writing Assistance
Stop by our writing drop-in center in the Miller Learning Center (Room 302) anytime Monday through Friday from 1pm – 4pm. No appointment is necessary for drop-in writing tutoring, but tutors meet with students on a ‘first come, first served’ basis, so if time-sensitive assistance is needed, it is best to make an appointment.
Writing tutors are available to meet with students to discuss their writing and suggest improvements for areas of concern. Appointments are available in-person and online.
To make a writing appointment:
- Visit http://my.uga.edu and log-in with your UGA MyID
- Click the ARC logo to access our TutorTrac online scheduling system
- Students will be directed to the main page of the TutorTrac scheduling system
- Click “Search Availability” under Student Options.
- Select Writing Center from the drop-down menu.
- Select Graduate or Undergraduate
- Click Search.
- Select an appointment by clicking on the session time block.
- Note the location of the writing appointment (Boyd Science Library, Aderhold Hall, Milledge Hall, Online, etc).
- Click Save.
- Return to the welcome screen by clicking Main Menu (in the upper left side of the page) to see all successfully booked appointments.
- Students should receive an appointment confirmation email at their UGA email account.
Please see our Appointment Tutoring page for appointment policies.
Online Writing Appointments
Some of our writing appointments are available online. Online writing appointments do not require students meet with a writing tutor in-person. Instead, documents are submitted before the appointment time and then comments are forwarded from the tutor after the appointment time has ended.
Online appointments are booked through the same process as in-person appointments. To find an online appointment, just look at the location of the appointment time. If the location is listed as Online; email@example.com the appointment is hosted online.
Students may only submit documents online if they have made an online appointment.
After making an online appointment:
(see process above)
- Save documents in rich text format (.rtf).
- E-mail documents to firstname.lastname@example.org as an attachment.
- In e-mail message, please include the following information:
- UGA 81X number
- The time and date of online appointment
- A brief description of the assignment and guidance on areas of concern (organization, word choice, grammar, etc.).
The writing tutor will read the document during the appointment time, write feedback in the margins of the document, and email the document back at the end of the appointment time. Writing tutors may not be able to provide feedback on the entire document, but they will read as much as they can in the time that is available during the tutoring appointment.
Please Note: Documents must be sent at or before the time of the appointment. If a document is sent more than fifteen minutes late or not sent at all, the appointment is counted as missed.
To cancel an appointment, it must be at least 24 hours ahead of time. If an emergency arises less than 24 hours before a scheduled appointment, please call 706.542.7053.
For more information about tutoring policies, see the Appointment Tutoring page.