Applying to Freshman College
Service-Learning Course Requirements

Applying to Freshman College

When will information about the 2018 Freshman College application be available?

More information about the application process will be available in January 2018.

Back to top


Where can I find information about program fees?

More information will be available in January 2018.

Back to top


Do I have to take 6 semester hours of coursework in the Freshman College?

Freshman College students are required to enroll in 6 semester hours from the program’s curriculum. These 6 semester hours will consist of a 3-hour credit core academic course, 2-hour credit UNIV 1103-S course, and 1-hour credit UNIV 1115 course. You are not permitted to withdraw from these courses.

What if I am unable to register for the core class I want during Freshman College?

All of the core academic courses offered in the Freshman College are also available throughout the academic year. Freshman College classes are small and seating in each class is limited. If you do not get your first choice during the summer, you will have the opportunity to take the class in the future.

All students should have several choices outlined before course registration begins.

What academic support services are available to assist me with my classes?

The Division of Academic Enhancement will provide a variety of support services, including tutoring for certain core classes, throughout the program and for as long as a student remains at UGA.

How intense is Freshman College?

Because the program’s academic term is so compressed, one Freshman College class is the equivalent of one week of class during a regular semester.

The best advice for students is to prepare to be challenged. It may feel overwhelming at times, but it is great preparation for the fall and spring semesters and a great foundation for your college experience.

Back to top

Service-Learning Course Requirements

What if I have an outside commitment during Freshman College?

The service learning component of UNIV 1103-S may require students to participate in some activities in the evenings and weekends.

You will receive your UNIV 1103-S course syllabus during Orientation. All attendance requirements will be listed in the syllabus since completion of the service learning component is required to satisfactorily meet the course requirements.

Do I have activities to attend on the weekends?

Some service learning projects might occur on evenings and weekends. You are also required to attend a “Watch Dawgs” program presented by the University Health Center.

It is in your best interest not to make any alternative plans until you have received your UNIV 1103-S syllabus.

What if I must miss a class session or activity?

Each instructor has a different attendance policy. Therefore, students are responsible for communicating any anticipated conflicts they expect to their UNIV 1103-S  instructor.

Back to top


Where will I live?

Please note, students will live in Oglethorpe House for the Freshman Summer College Experience and will remain in Oglethorpe House for the 2018-19 academic year. Room assignments will not change for summer, fall, and spring semesters.

Instead of moving to Oglethorpe House, can I select a different residence hall?

No. The only exceptions for Freshman College participants relocating to a space other than Oglethorpe House on August 1 are: (1) student athletes with other housing requirements; (2) Honors program students who opt in to living in Myers community; (3) students participating in a living learning community.

Can I participate in a learning community or live in Myers as an honor student?

Yes. Students participating in other academic programs that require a live-in component may transition to those spaces at the end of the summer. Approval must be granted from Freshman College staff to be eligible to move. Please send an email to fcse@uga.edu if you are participating in another live-in academic program.

Can I have a non-Freshman College roommate after the summer?

Freshman College Summer Experience is designed to be a cohort-based program; to maintain the high value of the living-learning experience, students will remain with their Freshman College roommate for Fall 2018-Spring 2019.

I’m bringing a car to campus, can I bring it during the summer?

There will be parking available near Oglethorpe House for Freshman College, and you will receive a form via email from the Freshman College office once admitted to the program to submit to Parking and Transportation Services. You will be able to register for your permanent assignment in the fall.

Back to top


Do I need to purchase a meal plan for Freshman College?

The cost of a 7-day meal plan is included in your program fee so you do not need to purchase a summer meal plan.

However, you are encouraged to investigate the meal plans offered during fall and spring semesters. For more information, visit the Food Services website.

How do I purchase a parking permit for Freshman College?

Prior to your arrival for Freshman College, you will receive an email with instructions for purchasing a parking permit. The Freshman College permit is different from a regular summer parking permit. Please wait until you receive instructions before making a purchase for the summer session.

You will also receive an email with detailed instructions from Parking Services regarding parking for the academic year. Please follow those instructions carefully.

What if I have additional questions?

For other questions about Freshman College, please contact the Freshman College office by calling 706-542-0697 or by sending an email to the Freshman College office.

Back to top

Categories Navigation Menu